Development & Network Committee

Former Development Committee

At the Bonn first meeting of the new elected Council this Committee and the Network Committee merge into one, chaired by Fred Dorn. For more information see Development & Network Committee

 

1. Development Committee, European Affairs Committee, and Training Committee meeting in Obidos

Present: Inara Erdmanis (Latvia/Sweden), Svetlana Nikolkova (Bulgaria), Mai Antonsen (Norway), Ina Ilieva (Bulgaria), Zoran Đurić (Serbia), Karin Hango (Estonia), Rosa Shemesh (Israel), Norbert Apter (Switzerland, Chair of Development Committee), Celia Scanlan (Scotland, Chair of European Affairs Committee), and Reijo Kauppila (Finland, Chair of Training Committee).

Reijo and Norbert opened the meeting. Development committee organizes Thinktanks. Norbert suggested the next one could be joint with the training committee.

The results of the AM-work in small groups were presented. It is clear that core competencies of psychodrama trainers connected to Research and Promotion are the activities, which the FEPTO community marked as most in need of attention.

Below is a list of some shared thinking:

  • What competencies does a trainer need in different application fields of psychodrama? How to balance competencies in psychodrama psychotherapy and competencies in the special field?
  • There could / should be a training to become a psychodrama trainer.
  • What would employers / organizations benefit or gain from sending their employees to psychodrama training?
  • What competencies do students gain in psychodrama training?
  • A traditional way to support psychodrama is to experience psychodrama. How to promote psychodrama in other and new ways?
  • What kind of competencies in promotion does the trainer need to be able to teach students to practice psychodrama in a way that promotes psychodrama? And to train students to promote psychodrama in other ways, too?
  • How to support trainers to deepen their theoretical understanding of psychodrama?

These formed the starting point to explore in practice with the group themes of trainer’s competencies, students competencies, and organizations in a systemic way. The group used chairs, and used relatiometrics to make visible these themes. Here is a picture of relatiogram, which was done in 15 minutes:

The outcomes will be used and further explored and developed in committees (processes), which maybe will continue in next AM (if the council so decides). We ended the meeting by agreeing to meet twice before the next AM:

  • Thinktank (organized by Development Committee) in September / early October, 2014 (in Helensburgh (Scotland) or Estonia)
  • Training Committee meeting in January, 2015 (perhaps in Estonia).

In both meetings the themes of trainer’s core competencies (especially Promotion and Research) will be connected to trainee’s competences and the benefits and gains psychodrama training provides to organizations and the whole society.
Norbert will doodle dates for Thinktank, after that Reijo will doodle dates to Training Committee meeting. Paola and Marco couldn’t be present in this training committee meeting, but they are preparing a survey about theory and basic psychodrama concepts.

Celia had news: EAP is defining the specific competencies of a psychodrama psychotherapist. She would ask all institutes to define the specific competencies for example with their students. Material and help is available from Celia. (We could make this on project in Training Committee?)

We found the outcomes of this meeting inspiring and energizing, and they give us hope, too. And what we are doing just now with competencies, is what institutes need. We warmly thank the participants of this meeting for ideas and taking part in this process – and for energy and joy!

Reijo and Norbert and Celia

More > Obidos report

 

2. Thinktank Sofia meeting, 21st to 23rd of February 2014

Core competencies of the Psychodrama Trainer. What an enriching issue! Wonderfully hosted by the Hiron institute, three FEPTO Chairs met in Sofia with a group of professionals: the chairs of Training, Network and Development committees. Why? In order to center on next FEPTO Annual Meeting’s issue: the core competencies of a Psychodrama
Trainer. The Chair of development was to produce a ThinkTank which could prepare the ground from the AM. The Chair of Training was facing an excellent opportunity to launch and prepare process and content for the next AM. The Network chair was here to promote connections between trainers within the different possibilities that FEPTO has to offer to its
members.

We were 10 professionals, representing 8 FEPTO institutes from Bulgaria, Finland, Germany, Israel, Latvia, Roumania, and Switzerland. Our hosts, representing Hiron Institute, Ina, Svetlana and Milena welcomed us and kept on taking care of us in a very attentive and gentle way. More > download report

Norbert Apter
Development Chair

3. September 2013 – Development Committee Report

Two years have gone now since this Committee was created. It has been quite successful. It was encompassing two dimensions:

  • The Annual Meeting: last AM in Santander ended up being a beautiful and rich experience for a lot of participants. It’s great! All the more since the collaboration with part of the LOC was rather difficult. The Voice shows the satisfaction and it is always pleasant to succeed to gather so many professionals from such diverse horizons in a fruitful encounter.
  • The Thinktanks: 2 took place. A number of ideas (more than 50 came out) and FEPTO Council decided to go along with one of the major category of ideas: recentering FEPTO AM on Training issues. Next year in Portugal the chosen theme is very exciting: The core competencies of the psychodrama trainer: differences and similarities in Europe”

After last election, the new Council has chosen to distinguish both Committees. Now on, there will be:

  •    An Annual Meeting Committee, and for this two coming year Yaacov Naor is its Chair
  •    A Development Committee, of which I remain the Chair

The Development Committee will be working further on the idea on “Recentering FEPTO onto training issues”. Number of ideas has already been expressed; in the previous thinktanks; now its time for suggesting real plans of action: what would be the priorities? What do we suggest to do? How do we want to do it? Who would help for what when…

We need to create a real dynamic from the members towards this central task. Yaacov Naor, Chair of the Annual Meeting Committee, Reijo Kauppila, Chair of the Training Committee and myself, have joined into creating a meeting on these issues in: Sofia (Bulgaria)

From Friday the 21st of February at 18:00
to Sunday the 23rd at 12:00.

Join us and chip in with your suggestions and your actions to support FEPTO’s growth!

Norbert Apter, Chair

 

4. Development Committee report in January 2013

2012-2013 has been quite crea(c)tive ! It was a rather demanding two-fold activity. On one hand I supported as I could Santander’s LOC in their setting up of the AM and of the Conference, and as far as I could see Roberto de Inocencio and Mercedes Lezaun (our main interlocutors from the LOC) did a very conscientious work in organizing both events. The structured data that they provided me with were of a great help in allocating the scholarships. The questions that they raised here and there were very relevant and I am sure that it will help us in supporting next years’ LOC. As far as I saw their commitment in making Santander’s AM and Conference become great moments of FEPTO’s life, I can only recommend to those who did not register yet to do so. DON’T MISS SANTANDER 2013, it is worth joining us!

On the other hand, I ended up organizing two thinktanks in Geneva :one with the Board in September with seven of us (Horatiu Nil Albini, Gabriela Moita, Celia Scanlan, Chantal Neve Hanquet, Hannes Krall, Yaacov Naor and I – see previous FEPTO Newsletter 12-2 Supplement), and another one with 6 representatives in January (see the article in this Newsletter). I would like to pay a special tribute to Elisabeth Loison Apter (my colleague and wife), who was omnipresent in the logistical organization (welcoming, preparing and bringing us food, reducing to its utmost the costs, inviting everyone for one dinner at our place…) for both these thinktanks.

My surprise (was it a surprise after all?) was the tremendous support of FEPTO community for this initiative of crea(c) tive thinktanks. It says a lot about us all in FEPTO: a great attachment to FEPTO, a real wish to see FEPTO get better and better, a strong commitment to FEPTO’s future.
Interestingly enough, both thinktank send visioning some very similar lines of improvement: repositioning training at the centre of FEPTO AM, ensuring FEPTO’s visibility and credibility, and dealing with diversity and growth. So many (excellent) ideas and suggestions came out of each thinktank. It is almost too much!
If we look at all the ideas that have stemmed out of these thinktanks, we can only become very aware that we couldn’t implement them all. Even if the Board wanted to!
Choices, priorities have to be made. And we need to find the means (active representatives) in order to, step by step, set down realistic plans of actions and carry them through!

This might very well be our next challenge before opening a new issue of crea(c)tivity!

 

5. Development Committee in September 2012
A very productive council Extra meeting

Regular Council Meetings are quite busy moments. FEPTO Council usually meets only twice a year: once in November in Dave, and once before the FEPTO Annual Meeting. Fortunately a yearly executive meeting has been implemented for years now, with the president, the co-president, the secretary and the treasurer. Added to this, throughout the year, each member of the Council has tasks to accomplish (with or without the help of members of his/her committee). Needless to say a great number of exchanges within the Council also occur through emails and Skype meetings.

All of this is merely sufficient to address all the year’s current issues and to respond to the expressed needs of FEPTO community brought up either by the diverse committee sorbs the specific email requests of members.
Indeed during the two plenary meeting the Council has to (A) examine some of the specific issues that Membership Committee raises when having to evaluate new applicants, (B) work on some of the ongoing Training issues and needs, (C) support progress in the Ethical questions (this year in setting an Ethic Complaint Procedure), (D) follow up and second the tremendous work done by the Research Committee on psychodrama, (E) ensure FEPTO’s positioning within Europe and with EAP,(F) support the development of the Network groups, (F) make sure that the whole year’s budget remains at least well balanced(if not with a final benefit),(G) feed the Newsletter with articles and reports of each committee and stimulate contributions from the whole FEPTO community, (H) update FEPTO website and ensure that it be more and more user friendly, (I) take care of all the other “small” issues (e.g. the maintenance of FEPTO archives) (J) Last but not least, learn from past Annual Meetings, past Conferences, and the VOICES in order to improve the next ones; this often means to update the guidelines for the Annual Meeting and for the Conference; (K) moreover, each year the new challenge remains : preparing carefully with the LOC these two major events (location, titles, programs, budgets, arrangements, registration, scholarships, lists of participants, detailed preparation of the General Assembly and of the voting procedures etc.), so that within what has been planned participants be satisfied and enriched. All of this done in twice yearly two-day Council meetings!

As a new member of the Council, I have been astonished by the tremendous amount of tasks and consultation that the two plenary meetings require and by the schedule of these meetings (starting in the morning and finishing late at night without “unnecessary” breaks: only 15’ in the morning, short lunch, 15’ in the afternoon and short dinner). I have been amazed by the amount of work done during these two plenary Council Meetings: in fact, the Council remains very focused on each issue brought up and succeeds to remain constructive and creative, thus completing all the tasks of the agenda, even though at the beginning of each meeting it looks like an impossible challenge.
As one could expect, at the end of each meeting, the Council is exhausted and happy: it was too much, but none of us would have settled for less!

An intensive efficient extra Council Meeting in 2012
Needless to say that with such an amount of ongoing issues to address each year in so little time, no time is left for the Council to step back and get a vision of FEPTO potential future. It is not good. This is why the Development Committee was created in 2011. This Committee not only encompasses all the usual issues related to the Annual Meeting and Conference, but also aims at working on short, middle and long-term possible visions and plans.
As the Chair of this Committee, I suggested that in January 2013 a Creative Thinktank would meet with all FEPTO members who would like to gather in order to envision the next few years’ necessary development of FEPTO. The Creative Thinktank would facilitate the collective intelligence at work for the community’s growth!
When suggesting this special meeting, it became also clear that the Council should do its share on developing an orientation for the future of FEPTO as an organization… and if possible before our November meeting in Dave.
It was thus decided that the Council would also meet for a Creative Thinktank. A date was set: from Friday evening (21st of September) to Sunday noon, in Geneva. 7 out of the 10 members of the Council made it.
As you will read here under quite an intensive work was done through this extra meeting.

On Friday evening, we started, as a warm up, to share everyone’s vision of FEPTO 2022.
For this, we used a walk on the 2012-2022 time line. Each of us stepped into each year and checked what was happening in FEPTO. It was quite interesting to see that growth and crises of growth were intermingled; we all could sense that the number of FEPTO members (which has already exponentially increased before 2012) puts the whole FEPTO community in front of new challenges to address… in order to get to2022 with a FEPTO Community that (a) keeps on increasing communication among its members through more Network groups, a larger implication in reading the Newsletter and the snapshots emails sent to each, as well as through more focused Annual Meetings; (b) develops rather smoothly, recognizing the contributions of the members who are leaving, benefiting from those staying and integrating more actively newcomers; (c) is clearly focused on FEPTO’s initial mission and makes it evolve; (d) maintains a constructive balance between rules/structure and spontaneity/creativity; (e) addresses the diversity of uses of psychodrama (psychotherapy, education, organizations, social work); (f) acquires more and more credibility within Europe and beyond.
On Saturday morning we used a Silent Brainstorming in Action. Each of us wrote on 3-5 pieces of paper priorities that we thought FEPTO should have; we posted them on a large tissue and then silently created clusters. Once this was done, we gave titles to the clusters. Two major concerns emerged (I) FEPTO’s inner world and organization, integrating its past, present and future, with accents on (a) improving networking, (b)FEPTO structure and communication, (c) Training issues, and (II) Outer world contacts, with accents on (a) cooperation and visibility and (b) credibility. Added to these two major domains of development we came up with two questions “Should FEPTO be also an organization for individual members?” and “Should FEPTO become a certifying body, by creating a FEPTO board of examiners?”. Even though both these questions seemed important issues, they remained unaddressed throughout the weekend.

Results/suggestions of our Thinktank
Alternating small group works and large group discussion, the Council devoted Saturday to (I)FEPTO’s inner world and organization:
(a) Improving networking within FEPTO. It definitely seems important that the networking within FEPTO develops. Each new member could be informed of the network groups. All FEPTO members would be encouraged to create new network groups, not only intervision type of groups, but also groups that which focus on a major center of interest (working with organizations, working with children and adolescents, etc…). These groups, in order to remain efficient, could be limited to about 12-14 people and could have clear and simple rules /guidelines of how to become a member or to leave out the group. Some of the exchanges during the year could be through emails and Skype, but also we could create a network site or even a blog on internet (or on the Newsletter) in which people could write what are their impression, what happens to them, with stories, reports and also photos… for members only. It would not be instead of the newsletter, but in addition to it, in a more “private” manner.
Some people won’t join network groups but may want to experience relating and sharing with a small group: so, we clearly considered that we should continue having one day of the Annual Meeting for small groups gathering.
(b) FEPTO structure and communication.Most of the AM’s have been culturally orientated which is good, but we still need to balance pleasure with structure. It might mean involving the LOC more in what the Board is planning. The goal of the AM would be both personal and organisational development. In Santander we could ask Roberto to make sections(psychotherapy, education, organisation and social work). Until now the LOC had too wide a scope. The Board should not restrict the freedom but advise the LOC so that the continuity with the organisation is respected.
People are complaining that the conference presenters are a “closed shop”. So, the LOC could do a call for papers. This should be added to the guidelines for the conference.

Other ideas were that the Board could initiate topics for committees to work on for the year, and that in order to improve the communication between members and also the possibility of larger exchanges we could create a “skills and interests data base”.
(c) Training issues. The identity of FEPTO has been created around training and training organisations, and somehow this core idea has been left out to the benefit of MTS, which indeed was needed to start with. However, now training should be put back in the center of FEPTO. With this as a principle, what do we need from the training committee? We could focus on: what is training? What is the quality? Who can do training? How do we know if institutes are still functioning at least as well as they said in their application?
Each committee could be asked to give a report of their contribution to training.

If the training committee were more active they could support institutes who are experiencing a difficult period. Is it possible to research the quality of training? How to support quality development as well as the development of core competencies, which in turn could enhance our credibility as a Federation…
We could check an institute’s website to see if their application corresponds to their offer. We also need to make a distinction between belonging to FEPTO or being approved by FEPTO, for example by writing on the website “FEPTO is not an accrediting body”, ”belonging to FEPTO is not guarantee of quality”, “FEPTO is rather a federation which aims to support development, credibility and visibility of psychodrama in Europe”. This would protect us legally.
The aim of the training Committee must be to find out what’s happening in European and Mediterranean Institutes in terms of training and relay it to the whole community.
A chair who is retiring could take over a sub committee to work on a specific subject.

The Council’s aim should be: How can FEPTO help improve the quality of the training in FEPTO institutes? Maybe by creating an inventory of what is happening in the institute in terms of training and/or create a research about training. The Council could also support the development of the quality training of institute / not controlling it, but helping in order to have a better visibility and credibility
Some questions could be also asked in the AM in small groups such as: How do you choose your students (criteria and / or process)? What are the problems about it? How do you solve them? What do you ask in the interview, if any? How do you follow the development of your students? How do you choose your teachers? How do you follow the quality of your teachers? How do you check quality of the training? What do you call “good directing”? What criteria do you use about this? What are the reasons why you will allow the students to finish the program? What do you call quality of training in your institute?
These questions could produce very interesting exchanges among FEPTO members.

On Sunday we addressed (II) Outer world contacts
(a) Cooperation and visibility. One of the aims could be reaching out beyond Europe, in which case we would rename the European committee into External affairs committee. An important aspect would be to create links with other psychodrama methods, other psychotherapy methods and other fields (education, social work, organizations etc.).We could invite the membership when they go to any country (e.g. China) to inform the Council in order to be the representative of FEPTO. They would get a FEPTO letter, however on the trip would be at their own expenses. Other means to acquire more visibility could be to organize an international conference with or without other international organizations; or to set up a FEPTO summer school (trainers’ trip and room and board paid by the small fee paid by the trainees). Each year in another country. New trainers each year. For example in cooperation with IAGP. In order to facilitate these options, the Council would appoint a general project manager: the chair of external affairs. The chair of the external affairs is in charge of all project managers. Each of them aiming at outreaching. Members would be encouraged to submit outreach projects. Guidelines could be created and should be provided by FEPTO for any outreaches and summer school etc…

(b) Credibility. The Newsletter could definitely be a way to make visible the growth of each institute, its special events, or achievements throughout the year. An institute could write for example a short (80 words) article telling us what was done during the year. Moreover we could even create an online professional journal with articles, theoretical questions, researches…which obviously would enhance our visibility and our credibility. Articles of trainers and/or students could be put on the website. They could be in the native language + English. But incentive is missing to write. One option could be our journal to be part of universities journals network. Another would be to create a workshop on “How to write a professional article?”.The journal could start with inputs of other psychodrama journals of Europe. In any case for such a project, we would need editors. If we were to do so, Hannes could attempt to create a three-people team of editors.
Another main source of credibility is obviously research, all the more since in psychodrama no research has yet been done that is considered “scientifically” or “methodologically” good enough. Maybe we could encourage that research be part of each curriculum, and/or that two-three trainers per institute commit to research; or even that each institute writes first an article, which provides a first step back and an analysis on one’s practice, which is less investment than research (that requires a larger questioning and above all a long lasting follow-up). A process could thus start from doing to describing and writing, and from then stepping further into researching
Sunday 11:30: Evaluation of the Council’s Creative Thinktank
We appreciated the efforts that all of us did, coming here, taking the time, to having this extra meeting to think and develop things together. Each of us could have had so many reasons not to be here!
Here are some of the sharing we had at the end:
I had no expectations. Not only didn’t I get disappointed, but we got much more and somehow I knew it. It was stimulating and I feel I am moving forward. The atmosphere of work has been so good and at the end I feel clearer about our possible future in FEPTO. My personal goals are completely fulfilled of thinking beyond my committee and have a view of the next years.

The shock of what happened in Oslo needs to be thought about more… how to bridge what we did here with the whole community. Lot of work and of challenges … and so little time even though we are all committed. What happened in Oslo gave me strength in our work here: creativity, seeing the forest even though the leaves are important .In terms of process: it was interesting and maybe we should use some of these active processes in Dave. We went back to the core of the organisation: training. I can see better how to stimulate institutes of FEPTO to go forward.
A special “Thanks” has to be made to Elisabeth Loison Apter for the tremendous work she did in order to reduce the costs of this meeting by preparing every lunch and dinner. One dinner was even offered to FEPTO by Norbert & Elisabeth.

Conclusion

FEPTO potential is quite large and FEPTO’s future is up to each and every FEPTO member. Even though the Council is willing to support and promote initiatives, it is impossible for FEPTO to grow smoothly and efficiently without your input and commitment (emails, Skype meetings, network groups, committees and subcommittees).
So let us know what you think of all of this, let us know what could be your contribution towards FEPTO’s future; don’t hesitate to write to development@fepto.eu

And SAVE THE DATE for next FEPTO Creative Thinktank, open to all members,
From Friday the 18th at 18:00 to Sunday the 20th of January 2013 at noon, in Geneva. Soon you will receive the invitation, and I hope that we will be able together to again work efficiently for FEPTO’s future and draw an action plan whilst enjoying being together.

Norbert Apter


6. Oslo report, May 2012

A year has gone by, since last AM and the creation of the Development Committee (DC). Being new in the Council, it took me quite a while to understand what it encompasses on one hand to support the organization of the Annual Meeting (AM) and FEPTO Conference (FC) and, on the other hand, to bring about new development opportunities to the FEPTO community. This is probably why, no meeting was organized with the members of the DC: I first needed to have a sense of what it was all about. Now
As far as the AM and FC were concerned an extremely useful help came from Agnes Dudler (Chair of the previous Annual Meeting Committee). I would like to thank her again here for providing the Development Committee with all the necessary documents built throughout the previous years, Even more, thank you Agnes for synthesizing so well 2011 Neve Shalom VOICES, the constructive feedback of FEPTO members.
Out of the many comments and suggestions of the VOICES, 5 issues seemed prominent:
•  Presentation of the new institutes: How to make it more « user-friendly »? The Council decided that, starting in Oslo, 2 hours would be provided for a kind of « Market Place », in which each new applying institute will have a table with its documentation and a poster; FEPTO members will just go around from one table to another, getting to know the applying institutes and discuss with their representatives.
•  Voting procedures: How to avoid the « last minutes bombs »? The whole council was very aware that this was a major issue needing change to occur. A proposal (presented in FN 12.1) will be submitted for voting to the General Assembly
•  The AM theme: How to make sure that the theme of the AM will be more developed (e.g. in Oslo: The creative lie: the balance between lie and truth). The Council asked the LOC to provide a lecture on the chosen theme and several times and spaces for groups to work on the related issues.
•  The large group’s life: How to increase, during the AM, communication within the large group? The LOC was asked to provide an everyday open session in the large group to facilitate expression and allow exchanges between FEPTO members. This « Forum » aims at giving a chance to everyone to speak up in the large group and thus to contribute to the growth of FEPTO.
•  Psychodrama learning: How to benefit more from each others ways of directing ? Oftentimes psychodrama sessions have been run, during AM and FC, in small groups and it has been highly appreciated. It would be quite a plus to systematically keep some time for processing the session within the small groups, processing being a time of high potential of exchanges and learning. It will highly be recommended now on.
Still concerning AM and FC, you will also have noticed in FN 12.1 that we established a document clarifying the Scholarship Attribution Procedure.

As for future developments of FEPTO, last year an email was sent to all institutes asking for suggestions. 4 specific issues came up:
•  Long-term credibility of FEPTO:« How to ensure that FEPTO members still meet Minimal Training Standards requirements? » , « What type of Core Competencies should a certified psychodramatist have ? », « What about having Quality Standards in FEPTO ? »
•  Cooperation with other organizations: « Would it be useful that FEPTO have country representatives at EAP, and if so, how? », « Should FEPTO be present as an organization in conferences? » « Should FEPTO co-organize conferences with other organizations? »
•  Non-therapeutic psychodrama: « Are Action Methods taught and used by FEPTO members in their non-therapeutic applications? » « How to give it more visibility within FEPTO and outside?»
•  Networking: « Who in FEPTO is specialized in what? », « How can we benefit in our training programs from external specific individual resources without knowing who has them?»
As you see each series of issue might be quite a challenge for FEPTO within next years.

A « Cre-Active Thinktank » was to be established. We did not do it so far, but it will start soon:
•  In September the Chair of the Development Committee will invite FEPTO Council for a special meeting to set priorities and general orientations
•  In January, the Development Committee will launch its First « Cre-Active Thinktank » with whoever is interested!
So SAVE THE DATE: from Friday the 18th of January 2013 (at 18:00) to Sunday the 20th (at 12:00) in Geneva (Switzerland).

Another important date will be:
2013 FEPTO 21st Annual Meeting in Santander (Spain) 12th to 18th of April


7. Development Committee, former Annual meeting Committee

The Development committee is somehow new: it replaces and encompasses the Annual Meeting Committee but has in fact now a twofold aim, being:
•  A resource for the local organizers of the Annual Meeting, i.e.: providing  them with the necessary elements (learned from past experience) to facilitate such a creative and nonetheless structured task.
You are interested in understanding how the Annual Meeting gets organized (maybe you plan on organizing one some day in your country)? You want to help the local organizers in their huge and so very important task? You have suggestions to improve the AM? Contact me and/or join our Committee
•  A thinktank for FEPTO’s development, gathering observations, questions, and ideas of improvements that the Council and any of its committees could adjust, refine, and implement, or (if needed) suggest to the General Assembly. This aspect is quite a new exciting challenge.

You have observations about FEPTO that you would like to share? You have ideas, proposals of improvement of FEPTO’s life and activities? You have dreams for FEPTO? Let me know and/or join us to co-build the future.
Hence this committee will help FEPTO to remain a lively creative structure.
For the next two years, we plan on continuing the great job that Agnes Dudler and the Annual Committee’s members were doing so far. It is with pleasure that we will indeed support the local organizers in Norway to create our next Annual Meeting… for June 2012, and maybe Spain …for our 2013 AM! We also plan on checking out all the answers to our VOICES of the magnificent AM in Israel, and try to learn from there what could/should be improved… And last but not least, we are planning of asking all members of FEPTO for suggestions, ideas, proposals and implementing a thinktank to elaborate from these contributions….

So don’t be shy or hesitant in letting us know what you think… Let us all use each one’s multiple intelligence at the service of the collective intelligence in order to make FEPTO grow smoothly, creatively and efficiently!

Norbert Apter norbert.apter@odef.ch

 

8. Report of the AM Committee meeting on April 21st 2010

The meeting took place in Kovacica/Belgrade on April 21st 2010, Stefan Flegelskamp, Hilde Gött, Jasna Velcovic, Rosa Shemesh and Agnes Dudler were present. Minutes were taken by Agnes.

Main topics: Evaluation of the LOC for 2010 and proposals for Israel 2011

The experience of the Local Organization Committee (LOC) from Serbia: Jasna reports (as did before the two Zorans in the council) how incredibly much work they had to do. They sometimes were afraid not to be able to manage it. They had a group of trainees, who did a great job. We all could experience this during the AM.
For all of us but the more for the LOC it was a great challenge, that due to the volcano we did not know exactly, who would when arrive and how many would be able or willing to come by train or car if the flights stayed cancelled. The program had to be changed almost every day. This was a pity, because a lot of work done by the LOC has been in vain.
Hilde asks, if there is a financial compensation for the trainees, because every LOC will need the help of trainees. Rosa thinks of a lower fee for the conference for the LOC.
They expect a number of 80 – 100 participants in Israel. The entry permits for all member countries to Israel should be checked.
The LOC of Serbia will give their contracts and their communication forms to the new organizing committee from Israel, preferably as a DVD.

The committee votes for scholarships for the PC and suggests that the budget for the PC should include a percentage for scholarships.
It is agreed by the LOC that the VOICES are helpful and participants acknowledge it well, that there suggestions are realized as far as possible.
Rosa is happy, that there is not only a chair for the AM but a group of colleagues behind or around the chair.

Evaluating of this years AM
Positive: The development of the annual meeting is evident and a great pleasure. A great job has been done under these conditions.
Negative: Too little time in plenary. The film of the meeting of the research committee in Italy was too long, specially as we had less time this year due to the volcano.
Missing: Reflecting the war in Yugoslavia/ Serbia and its consequences. The report of the small groups will take place later this evening.
(For more see the evaluation of the VOICES)

Discussion:
– The selection of small groups should be done with more time and after a longer warm up to prepare the suggestion of topics and the choices more thoroughly.
– Is a topic for the annual meeting really necessary or does it not lead to expectations that are too high? As our annual meeting has the ongoing topic according to the goals of FEPTO (development of psychodrama and psychodrama training in Europe) it is not really necessary, but at least for the warm up a topic is important.

Suggestion: The budget for the PC should include a percentage for scholarships

 

GUIDELINES

A. General guidelines of the organization of the Annual meeting

Time:
FEPTO Annual Meeting is usually in March-April-May. It is maximum 15 months after previous meeting (Constitution)
Duration:
The meeting it self lasts usually 4 nights 5 days. It includes a weekend (Saturday night for APEX flights)
There can be a possibility of preliminary or subsequent organised tourist excursions.
There is a preliminary or subsequent workshop called FEPTO Conference to promote international trainees, practitioner and trainers encounter. It is organised by another team than the Annual Meeting.
Goals:
The general goals of our meetings are:
• Get to know other training institutes, their structure and training system.   Exchange of experience, friendship
• Administration co-ordination of federal action: host GA / Council / Committees / Executive / Study / Training Standards.
• Development of psychodrama training.The Organisation
FEPTO annual meeting is arranged in a different country every year.
The GA is choosing the host arranging institute/country between the candidates at least 2 years ahead.
The proposals to be a host country have to be introduced 3 years ahead.
The local organisers structure themselves as a Local Organising Committee.
This committee co-create the meeting with the FEPTO Annual Meeting Committee/Council. The annual meeting committee and the Executive should approve the suggestions and plans of the local organising committee.Responsibilities
The Local Organising Committee (LOC) is responsible for:
1. The location of the Annual Meeting in a conference centre and/or hotel.
A large conference room for 60 moving persons, 2 or 3 small rooms for group work. All with the needed facilities: white board, paper board, over-head, display boards, possibility for posters, flowers, photos,
The conference place should not be separated from accommodations.
Office facilities: printing, copying, faxing, phoning, access to computer / internet etc.
Coffee, tea, soft drinks and cookies at pauses.
Meals: minimum one warm meal / day. The other one can be free outside if restaurants in neighbourhood.
Night accommodation + breakfast in hotel and B&B (local psychodramatists?)
2. Social program: special evening and meal, excursion, meeting with regional psychodramatists.
3. Announcements, of which at least 1 by post, including:
Invitation to FEPTO Nth annual meeting. Names, mail-address, telephone numbers of the local organisers and of FEPTO
Place (+photo) presentation and tourist info of the place and the environment. History and situation of Psychodrama in the country.
Name & address, telephone, fax, e-mail of the hotel
Alternative ways to reach the place from the airport (train, taxi, boat, expenses)
Information about passport and receiving the visa
Registration fee (early reg. and later). Name, address and account number of FEPTO (IBAN code) and name, address and identification code of FEPTO´s Bank (BIC or Swift code).
Hotel and B&B prices and way of reservation. Possibility of payment by credit cards.
Theme. Provisional and later program table.
Registration form.
4. A documentation file or satchel for each participant with: their name badge, the last agenda of the meeting, a list of the participants with their phone, post and mail addresses, documentation about the country, the place (map) and neighbourhood, the more scientific and organisational documents given by FEPTO, tickets for meals and drinks, invitation for a reception. Also paper and a ball-point.
5. Welcome and guide the participants
6. Finances.
The local organising committee is responsible to make the budget and the accounts. FEPTO has to introduce his planned costs (photocopies…) and 10% for scholarships in the registration budget.
The meeting should carry itself. The budget should be based on 30 participants. The financial loss of an annual meeting has to be carried by the local organizers in case the organization was not done properly according to the guidelines and if the budget was exceeded without agreement of the council.
The Local Organising Committee has the right, in agreement with the Executive to cancel the meeting if less than 30 participants register. The possible profits go to a FEPTO Bridge Found for more scholarships the next years.
Income: The registration fee (to be approved by the Council), the hotel costs, and some sponsorship pay the above-mentioned services.
Sponsors can be local authorities offering for instance meeting rooms, an official reception at the town Hall, free passes on public transportation, city maps, but we can find sponsors also in the business world. For these businesses there must be an agreement of the Executive if some form of name mentioning or advertising is required.
In each annual meeting there can be different balance between registration costs and hotel costs. Costs of meeting rooms and warm meals can be in the Hotel costs or in the registration fee. But it is important that the sum of both remains inside limits.
Expenses. The budget should include the costs of all above mentioned services and 10% for scholarshipsFEPTO Executive/Annual Meeting Committee is responsible for:
Advise and support the Local Organising Committee.
The content of the meeting, schedule / time table, scientific program and theme, association meetings, GA, voting procedures, committee meetings, Council meetings.
The invitation of guests, the scholarships.
The evaluation of the meeting and facilitating the hand over of the organising to the next local arrangersParticipants
The member organisations have the right to come with the by Constitution art 9 stipulated number of representatives. The same number of other interested trainers from their organisation can accompany them.
The local host organisations have the right to double this total number.
Candidate members and interested organisations can be invited and are introduced as guests in our FEPTO world by a member or delegate standing as godfather.
Accompanying persons can participate to social activities on their cost price for FEPTO + 20% for administration costs.
The organisers of the Annual Meeting are expected to pay the normal registration fee. Expenses made for the Meeting, as phone costs, travel and photocopies, and included in the budget can be refund.
A limited number (10% of the participants) of scholarships ( = registration fee) is available for representatives who otherwise can’t participate. A part of their hotel or B&B accommodation can possibly be offered through the Bridge Found (benefit of the last annual meetings.)Table: Division of responsibility
Item Local Organizers FEPTO Council/ Annual Meeting Committee
Pre-confer. publicity Responsible Advises, reviews before printing
Program Responsible
Professional Hosts Responsible
Organisational :GA/Council Hosts Approves
Social
Tours / dinner
Special evening, dance
Accompany persons
Responsible
Conference documentation
Printing
Content
Hosting
Scient. & Assoc.
ResponsibleResponsible ApprovesResponsible
Venue & Accommodation
Conference centre + audio-v.
Catering
Hotel / B&B
Responsible Approves
Invitation of guests Hosts Responsible
Scholarships Responsible for selection
Finances
Budget / Account
Pre or Post Confer.
Registration fee
Fee collection
Seed money
Responsible
Responsible
Responsible
Approves
Approves
Approves
Responsible
Responsible
Welcome & link with conference centre and hotel. Responsible
Registration Helps Responsible

 

B. Timing
– 2.5 years Candidate local organisers send in proposal
(city, conference centres, period, provisory prices, arguments in favour)
– 2 years Selection of host country
– 2 years – 1.5 years
Selection of place and hotels. Exploration and negotiation
Dates and their compatibility with other congresses
Exploration of public and private sponsors
Budget elaboration and discussion
Decision on registration fee and hotel costs
– 1 year at the Annual Meeting Choice of the next theme
Promotion of next meeting. Announcement 1 page.
Local Organisers present themselves, place, dates etc
– 8-6 month Announcement in FEPTO News (September issue)
+ Ideas about the theme.
– 6-4 month Post mailing
More about time table, social program etc
– 3 month E-mailing Recall ending of early inscription.
– at the Annual Meeting: Accounts
+ 1 week Thanks

Some experiences on preparing an annual FEPTO meeting
Download here pdf

C. Annual Meeting regulation
1. It is a FEPTO member organisation (or a temporary organizing committee of member organizations) that invites. It is not a person who invites. But what we call the “local”organization delegates some persons, forming a local committee.
2. When the local organization invites FEPTO, they take the responsibility (work, manpower, finances) to invite inside an in FEPTO usual maximum for hotel costs and registration fee and to offer the needed facilities.
3. The local organization and FEPTO organize or better co-create the meeting together, but there are differences in responsibility, the local organization being mostly the host for the event during one week (but prepared during more than one year) and FEPTO being mostly in charge of the professional, scientific and as sociationnal aspects of the meeting and the continuity.
4. As host, the local organization has the responsibility but asks the approval from FEPTO for:
– Conference center with the needed conference rooms with the needed material for presentation and an office with possibility of telephone, photocopy, PC for redaction and printing, e-mail, …
– Hotel, B&B, Catering Coffee or tea, biscuits, fruit juice.
– Social program, excursion, special dinner with local atmosphere, meeting of local psychodrama societies. Also a social program for accompanying persons. Tours before or after the meeting.
– A documentation file for each participant with the agenda of the meeting, list of participants with their addresses, documentation about the country, the place and neighbourhood, psychodrama in the country, the more scientific and organizational documents given by FEPTO, tickets for meals, invitation for a reception. Also some paper and a ball-point.
5. FEPTO is in charge of the program to be discussed with the local organizing committee and the organization of the professional, scientific and associational meetings, the voting with the help of the local organizing committee.
Guest persons at the meetings are invited by FEPTO. Scholarships decided by FEPTO and given from the 10% of the present registration fees and from the profit of previous meetings
6. The necessary announcements are made by the host organization, but FEPTO gives advise and reviews before printing. In the first announcement the local organization has to tell about the country, the place (photo), environment, travel possibilities (train, taxi,.. from airport ) to reach the place, conference and hotel facilities and about costs, inscription forms, modes of payment, visas, … to attract, tempt people to come to a foreign place
FEPTO tells about the program, the theme of the meeting, the goals, … also to attract participants.
The costs of the announcements has to be in the conference budget. Announcements in FEPTO News are payed by FEPTO
7. Finance. They are mostly about the host function, so the local organizing committee is responsible to make the budget and the accounts. FEPTO has to introduce his planned costs (photocopies) and 10% for scholarships in the registration budget. The inviting organization takes the responsibility to pay if there is loss. The profit goes for more scholarships the next year.

D. Budget – general recommendations
The budget should be based on an estimated participation of 60 people
Try to keep the registration fee and accommodation prices as low as possible (overview of the last years)

E. Contract
Download here pdf

F. Documentation file for participants
– name tags
– program of the meeting (last version)
– list of the participants with their phone, post and mail addresses,
– documentation about the country, the place (map) and neighbourhood,
the more scientific and organisational documents given by FEPTO
(e.g.: agenda of the GA, budget, presentation of new institutes, by laws etc)
– tickets for meals and drinks,
– evaluation (voices of the participants)
– confirmation of participation
– paper and a ball-point.

G. Evaluation file
Download here pdf

H. Time structure
Download here pdf 

Featured Event

Research Committee meeting: Diversity in Psychodrama practice. Challenges for Process and Outcome Research

5th to 8th of October 2017
Tallinn, Estonia

» Invitation to Tallinn

» Tallinn provisionally program

» Skopje final report

» View Psychodrama Calendar

FEPTO Conference

13th FEPTO Conference:
The Tree of Life: Tradition and Renewal

11th to 13th of May, 2018
Pravetz, Bulgaria

» Scholarships

» Invitation

» Program to be uploaded

» Online registration: not open

Annual Meeting

26th FEPTO AM: 
Topic to be decided

13th to 17th of May, 2018
Pravetz, Bulgaria

» Scholarships

» Invitation to be uploaded

» Program to be uploaded

» Online registration not open

Newsletter

FN 17.1 cover

Download the current issue of our newsletter

Download Newsletter